ma Cares – A Year in Review
2013 has been a wonderful year for ma Cares. We strive to make a difference in the lives of children, families, veterans and animals and thanks to support from wonderful volunteers, businesses, and the community, we’ve been able to do just that!
Here’s a look at our highlights for the year:
ma Cares for Kids
In order to make a difference in the lives of children and families, ma Cares supported Pathways Center, a facility that provides temporary housing to homeless families. Through themed parties, sweet treats, and donated school supplies and holiday gifts, we’ve made a difference in the lives of kids and families in need.
- ma Cares put smiles on hundreds of homeless children’s faces.
- ma Cares donated over 30 pallets worth of clothing, blankets and supplies to local shelters benefitting both people and animals.
ma Cares for Cures
Disease research and prevention is a cause that is very important to us. Throughout 2013 ma Cares supported Earlier.org – Friends for an Earlier Breast Cancer Test®, an organization whose objective is to direct as many funds as possible, as quickly as possible, to research focused solely on earlier detection of breast cancer. Earlier detection can save lives.
- Through a variety of fundraising efforts, ma Cares raised $5,000 for Earlier.org – Friends for an Earlier Breast Cancer Test® to help fund their research to find an earlier means of detecting Breast Cancer.
- Our involvement as a supporting sponsor of the Gathering of Friends Gala Dinner helped Earlier.org to raise over $150,000 to fund research for the earlier detection of breast cancer
ma Cares for Critters
Animals make such a big difference in our lives, and this year ma Cares worked to make a difference in theirs as well.
- Our involvement with Dogs on the Catwalk helped Red Dog Farm Animal Rescue Network to raise over $20,000 to fund the care of homeless animals.
ma Cares for Servicemen and Women
Those who serve or have served our country make extraordinary sacrifices to do so, and to support and show our appreciation to them, ma Cares worked to make a difference in the lives of veterans this year.
- We donated over 2000 lbs of food to homeless veterans and others in need within our community.
- ma Cares held “A Night of Stars – Saluting Our Veterans” event, which raised over $7,000 to support veterans and service dogs
- We initiated Faith Cares, a sponsorship program to cover costs of continued care for 12 service dogs
Appearances, Surroundings & Support
Because we rely on monetary donations and in-kind support to make a difference, getting our name out in the community is important to us so folks will be aware of what we’re doing.
- ma Cares received great media coverage this year including several mentions in magazines and newspapers, 4 radio interviews, 9 TV interviews, and an article highlighting us as the featured non-profit in the Winter edition of Triad Living Magazine.
Speaking of appearances, ma Cares also cares about our surroundings.
- We have done our part to keep the community beautiful our “Adopt a Highway” project, headed up by volunteer Angela Fenwrick. We conduct regular beautification days for our designated stretch of Pleasant Ridge Road.
While we’re talking about surroundings, we appreciate our local businesses that have teamed up with us to make a difference in our community.
- Over 15 local businesses partnered with us throughout the year to help us raise money to support our charitable efforts.
Just as money can’t buy you love, the difference made by one person touching the life of another can’t be measured in dollar figures alone. However, we are happy to make the following announcement:
- Over the course of the year, ma Cares raised over $110,000 to support children, families, veterans, and animals in need.